Relationship Based Behaviour Modification
Time & Location
About the Event
The Crate Escape Dog Adventures is honoured to host Nelson Hodges of Canine Content and the Canine-Human Relationship Center. He will be conduction his 3 Day Relationship Based Behaviour Modification workshop at our facility in May 2019.
Dates: Friday, May 24 - Sunday, May 26, 2019
Time: 8:30am-5:00pm (Class starts at 9:00am. Please arrive early to allow dogs bathroom breaks and to settle in)
Location: The Crate Escape Dog Adventures 7181 Brewer Rd, Coldstream, BC
Fee: $600 per person
Spaces are limited to 25 attendees and will sell out early!
*This is not a typical "Dog Training" workshop, this workshop is for anyone and everyone who wants to have a deeper understanding of canines and their language.
*Open to dog owners, dog trainers, groomers, pet sitters...anyone who spends time with dogs.
*All spots are working spots (dog and handler team). No audit spots if you are unable to bring a dog, please contact us and we will provide you with a dog to work with.
*20% discount for second person in family (May also bring a dog).
*20% discount for Active Duty Military, First Responders and prior Service Agency & Special OP. personnel.
Accommodations: hotel will be listed soon or onsite field camping for $15/night
Sorry, no hook-ups, no showers. Porta-potty and hose water access. Potable water will be provided
Snacks & beverages will be provided.
Bring your own lunch or join us for a catered lunch ($15/day, please select in registration)
Group dinner on Saturday evening will be arranged. Not included but please RSVP in registration for reservation purposes.
*Each attendee is encouraged to bring a dog. If you cannot bring your dog, please let us know in advance and we will provide you with a dog to work with. Please let us know if you have any physical limitations as we will be sure to match you with a suitable dog.
* For the safety and consideration of others, we ask that you do not bring a dog with extreme behaviour problems such as shutdown fearfulness or severe human/dog aggression, as Nelson has a limited time to meet and work with all attendees. The skills and lessons taught are easily transferred to your dog at home should he/she not be suitable for the workshop.
*Dogs with mild/medium fear and/or reactivity are welcome as long as the handler is capable of controlling the dog physically. We will make every effort to accommodate, include and help those dogs.
*All Attendees must bring a crate for their dog. If you cannot bring one, please contact us ahead of time so that we can arrange to have one available for you.
*As Dogs may be separated from handlers for up to 90mins at a time, all attendee dogs must be able to stay calmly and quietly in crates. Again, we will do everything possible to accommodate but out of consideration for the speaker, Nelson, and the attendees, dogs must be able to remain quietly separated. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact us directly and we will discuss options for you and your dog.
This workshop will be as inclusive as possible. If you have questions or concerns about you or your dogs ability to participate, please contact us as we will do our best to accommodate.
Workshop outline: “If you want to learn how to talk to your dog, shut your mouth"
1. Concept of Relationship Based Behaviour Modification
2. Canine history: understanding canine background and behaviour influences
3. Basis of Canine language: purpose and intent
4. Sociality and understanding behaviour
5. Canine Language
6. Conversations instead of words
7. Discussion of, meanings and purpose of play
8. Appropriate levels of response
9. Oppositional responses
10. Pack walks; recognition of behaviours
11. Aggressive dogs; recognition, means and methods, bite awareness and avoidance
12. Behaviour with training, not vs.
13. Testing and trusting exercises
14. Body language exercises; positional understanding, direction and cooperation
And so much more. There is a mix of classroom learning and hands on practice throughout the weekend. Please dress accordingly for the weather and in active wear. Running shoes or light hikers required as much of the terrain is uneven.
We look forward to having you join us!
ABOUT NELSON HODGES
Nelson has worked with Animal Behaviour and rehabilitation for more than 40 years. He has specialized in canine behaviour, helping others to understand the nature, intelligence, language and motivations of all canines. During that time, Nelson has personally worked hands-on with thousands of canines of all breeds. His behavioral cases include many of he most extreme behaviours from feral dogs, shutdown fearful dogs to the most severely aggressive dogs, and everything in between. He has been a long term advocate for understanding canine behaviour and ethical treatment and handling.
Nelson has been on the Board of Directors of the International Association of Canine Professionals (IACP) since 2015 and he is affiliated with other Animal Behaviour and Human Psychology organizations.
His client base ranges worldwide, from North America to Europe and Asia as his knowledge is sought out around the world. He aims to help educate people to better understand their dogs and to build stronger relationships through understanding and cooperation.
- Saturday Night Group Dinner$0$00$0
- Friday Lunch$15$150$0
- Saturday Lunch$15$150$0
- Sunday Lunch$15$150$0
- Thursday night camping$15$150$0
- Friday night camping$15$150$0
- Saturday night camping$15$150$0
- Sunday night camping$15$150$0